Thursday, April 2, 2015

A quick and easy DIY: dresser tray



I am a bit obsessed with trays. I have a silver serving tray in our bathroom to corral our glass canisters. I also have a wooden tray in our kitchen with a grain sack print, an apothecary jar and some spring decor. 


I have a reclaimed wood tray in our dining room. Are you noticing a trend here? 
We recently finished Emorie's big girl room and something about it just felt "off." I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Then it hit me. The table was way cluttered and not really functional. 

I decided to re-locate yheadbands to a more functional space and craft a tiny little tray for her "toiletry items." She uses hair taming spray, a brush and body lotion on a daily basis, so why not make a cute little tray to display and corral these items? 

I had a Stride Rite shoe box that I'd been saving to make some cute storage boxes. I thought the lid of one of the boxes might make a good tray.

I started by measuring and cutting a piece of paper to pit inside the lid. I then adhered the paper with some Loctite spray adhesive. I would advise you to use Loctite in a well-ventilated area, as it has strong fumes. Definitely don't inhale. 

I then brushed some Modge Podge over the paper to seal it and make it waterproof. Then, I began gluing paper to the sides. I made sure I had enough overhang that I could just fold it over and glue it to the outside as well. 

I then repeated this on all four sides. This was the result. I need to fix some of the corners, but I like how it turned out. 

 a
The middle drawer now holds her headbands and hair ties, while the white Ikea flower pot holds her hair brushes. Her new tray now holds her lotion, hair taming spray and one of her hair brushes. The lid was the perfect size for this side of the vanity. 


But the vanity still needs something. I was thinking maybe a pink orchid? And I still need to fix that corner on the tray! 

No comments:

Post a Comment