Saturday, April 26, 2014

Command center DIY: Mail organizers


Mail sorting used to be a problem in our house. All of the mail in our house either ended up getting piled up on the console table by the front door, stuffed into the baskets under that table, or piled up someplace in our office. I'd get frustrated because the mail would end up getting lost.  I also hate paper piles, so even if the mail didn't get lost, the piles still frustrated me.
I coveted various expensive mail organizers for months. I scoured the internet in search of knockoffs, but couldn't find what I wanted anywhere. I was just about to buy some lumber and beg my crafty daddy for help when I had an idea.



It all started when I was opening a box of Clorox Fresh Brush toilet scrubbers. The box was nearly the right width to fit a letter. I tested it and it worked. I have been making magazine files out of cereal boxes for years. These are made the same way but on a smaller scale.

Just cut the box flaps off the top. Cut your box sides so that they are angled. Then, measure your fabric for the inside of the boxes. You can also use scrapbook paper. Use Modge Podge to adhere your paper or fabric to the box. Then, measure and cut the fabric to cover the outside of your boxes. I used a thick black canvas fabric I already had on hand. 


Then, I attached metal nameplates to the front.
I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. By the way, the mail piles are gone ;)

                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment