Monday, May 26, 2014

Outdoor spaces

My husband and I have recently been doing a ton of yardwork, as well as making some updates to the outside of our home. We are working inside the house, too, but I will talk about that in a separate post.

A little background info is necessary- we purchased our house about a year ago from a retired couple that were avid gardeners. I would feel dishonest if I didn't tell you that- most of the beautiful landscaping you see here was done by the previous owners. There is a lot here we can't take credit for!

The husband and I are not gardeners- in fact, we had to have someone come to the house and identify plants for us, as well as tell us how to maintain them. We have five large flower beds and we do a lot of weeding. I'll photograph our flower beds soon for another post.





For now, let's just focus on our container gardens.

On our back porch, I repurposed an old RC Cola crate I found in an outbuilding at my grandmother's house. She didn't even know she had it- now, I'm praying she has more of them :)

These red impatiens are planted in an old RC Cola wooden crate I found at my grandma's house. I was going to plant succulents, but when I saw these, I decided I'd really like them on my back porch. Plus, since we have our (currently unfinished) back porch decorated in red and navy, they match the color scheme. 

So the "RC Cola" is faded, but you can still see it.

The previous owners had a very nice, very colorful container display outside the greenhouse. Some of what they planted returned this year, but most of it didn't. Here is that display, replanted by me.


A closer look:


A container garden that has yet to take off:


Vincas "spilling out" of a planter


I am in the process of creating some stone paver planters that I saw on Pinterest.

paver planters! these look so modern. (pavers, landscape-block adhesive, and 24 hours for everything to cure)
 Source: [Alternative Energy Gardening]

We are currently working to spruce up the outside of our home, so these planters would sit on either side of our garage door and will likely be planted with red geraniums, to match the new front door.

More pictures soon to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment