Monday, June 1, 2015

Recipe: Sunday Brunch Casserole


Boy, does it feel good to be back! Teachers often find the last few weeks of school are the busiest and most stressful. That was definitely true to me, so I took the past two weeks off from blogging. I'm glad to be back with you- I feel like a farm boy happy to be back in the tractor seat. 

I can already tell you pictures of this dish won't be very pretty. Don't judge the book by its cover- for all the ugliness it has, the flavor is spectacular. This dish contains some of my favorite things- sausage, cheese and eggs. I appropriately made this dish for my family on Sunday morning. My husband immediately commented that it would make a great cold-weather food. 



**Quick disclaimer: Make sure you use buttermilk biscuits in a can. Use a rolling pin to roll them flat. I tried using Golden Layers biscuits, but they browned too fast and the crust burned. Crescent rolls could work, but you'd definitely have to reduce the cooking time so your crust doesn't burn. 

Making this dish was so easy and it was so quick. First, you've got to brown your sausage. I used a locally made sausage that is packaged similar to Neese's. I pattied it and browned it on medium heat. 

Next, combine your cheeses, eggs, browned sausage (chop it up after it's cooked), and milk. Pour the mixture into an 8X8 cooking pan. Glass works best. 


For an added bonus, employ your favorite four-year-old to help you make sure it's well stirred. 

Lastly, roll your biscuits flat with a rolling pin and spread it atop your mixture. Pop the dish into the oven and cook for 30- 35 minutes at 425 degrees.  This is an unappetizing picture, but I can assure you, it tastes great. 


As always, here is your printable recipe card. Right click on the card to save it to your computer. For best results, change your printer paper size to 5x7 so you can print this on a 5X7 recipe card. Hope you enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment