Monday, November 3, 2014

Favorite Fall Desserts: Apple Crisp


It all started a few nights ago when I was flipping through the West Chatham Food Pantry cookbook, looking for my favorite spaghetti sauce recipe. I finished mixing my ingredients, and absent-mindedly began flipping through the desserts section. I landed on a page full of apple recipes. I had just bought an obscene amount of apples on sale and was worried they'd spoil before I got a chance to eat them all.



I found a recipe for apple crisp that only had a few ingredients- ingredients that we already had in the pantry. Ingredients I almost always have on hand (minus an unusually large basket of apples, of course). I decided to whip up a small pan for me and the hubby to try. What happened was we ate all of it before I even got to take a picture. It was that good.

Tonight, I am making it again. It is the perfect cool weather, fall food because it is warm and it makes your house smell like brown sugar and cinnamon, which to me smells like fall. Plus, it's really easy to make and really cheap to make.

Here is the recipe:

6 cups sliced apples
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour (self-rising)
1 stick margarine crumbled
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Line the bottom of a 9.5X 12 Pyrex bake dish with apples. Mix the brown sugar, flour, margarine and cinnamon. Crumble the mixture atop the apples and bake at 350 for one hour.

I love to eat it with vanilla ice cream and a cup of black coffee. Hubby likes to down his with a glass of milk. Emorie likes to eat hers with nothing at all :)

You should definitely make this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment