Thursday, August 21, 2014

It's that time again...

Today, I finished my classroom. I have been teaching going on six years, and I have to say that this year's classroom is my favorite. I absolutely love how it turned out.

A little background- I am teaching with a completely different team of teachers this year, although I have worked on the same grade level as two of those teachers before. The eighth grade teachers at my school named our teams in honor of comic book characters, For the past two years, we have been the Avengers team (Marvel comics), but this year, we are The Justice League (DC Comics). Because it isn't as easy to find Justice League paraphernalia as it is to find Justice League, we have had to get a little creative. My character is Superman, so I'm not really having trouble finding Superman paraphernalia. Ditto for my teammate who is Batman.




I am not only really proud of my classroom decor this year, but also of my classroom organization. Especially my classroom organization. I am taking on two leadership roles this year: one is a committee role and the other, a team leader role. This is why it is especially important for me to be organized.

Without further adieu, here is my classroom tour:

In case you are wondering, "ELA" stands for "English language arts," which is the subject I teach. 


Inside my door. I want a small shelf or a table to put underneath the windows, but haven't found what I want yet. The posters above the window are sports oriented, inspirational posters. The stoplight is for assessment purposes. The clipboard is for signing out when leaving my classroom. The Jackie Onassis poster contains this quote: “Once you can express yourself, you can tell the world what you want from it. . . All the changes in the world, for good or evil, were first brought about by words.”

My "information board," which contains a calendar, important dates, a lunch menu (not yet) and an intramural schedule (not yet). You can't see it in this picture, but the other half of the board is my word wall. 

My desk area- it consists of a computer desk, a teacher desk, two filing cabinets, and hopefully soon, a short shelf. On the walls are a Superman poster, my degrees, and my command center. 
Command center, just like last year. It includes a mail rack for taking things to the office or library, a monthly calendar, a weekly planner, a "remember list", and a daily checklist. 

Rubbermaid drawers stash piles of paper that need grading, filing, or copying. This cuts down on desktop piles and things getting lost. The composition book is for taking notes and the clipboard contains things that need my attention. 

If my desk is not clear when I leave for the evening, I will immediately be stressed when I walk into my room the next day. No lie. 

A long view of my room. There are 6 tables of 5. There are anchor charts on the far wall. Notice the curtains: this is the first year I have ever made curtains. I made them using material I already owned, some ribbon I bought on clearance and a hot glue gun. 


The front of my room. The long black cord will soon be plugged in and disguised. It is definitely not permanent. Parts of speech posters are above my whiteboard, and various punctuation-related posters are below the board. 


The back of my room. The tall storage cabinet houses supplies, while the cabinets hold teaching supplies, posters, and things like tissues, sanitizer and ziplock bags. The shelves hold our classroom library. Just like at home, there is a place for everything and everything is in its place. Labels are everywhere! 

A long view of my closet/supply cabinet. 
You might say I love bins and labels. 

Another thing that is really making my classroom more functional are drawer organizers. They are everywhere and were mostly purchased from the Dollar Tree or Dollar General. 


Please pray for us to have a successful, pleasant school year. I have met several of my students and am really excited about this school year.




No comments:

Post a Comment