Friday, July 25, 2014

DIY: A knock-off Pottery Barn kids vanity stool

My daughter is outgrowing her nursery, so we are working to prepare a big girl room for her. We have painted it and are almost finished, except for buying a dresser and getting some artwork for her walls.

I had a sweet little white vanity sitting around from when I was growing up. I gave it a fresh coat of paint recently and a new drawer pull, but decided it needed a little something else.




 I loved the ruffled vanity stool at Pottery Barn Kids, but just couldn't justify the price.
Whitney Play Vanity and Dress Up Tower

 Especially when I had a perfectly good, sturdy stool already in my possession. 

When I ordered Emorie's ruffled valance, I got an idea. Why not order two valances and use one to wrap her stool? I unscrewed the seat from the rest of the stool and used a piece of an old white pillowcase to cover the dingy fabric. I stapled that fabric in place and reattached the stool.

 Then, wrapped the valance around it, secured it with safety pins and sewed it to the cover. 

Voila! I like it, don't you? The best part is it only cost me spray paint ($6) and a ruffled valance ($12). 

Wouldn't this make a darling side table or nightstand? 

For now, I styled it with a shoebox I covered in some pretty paper, some roses left over from her first birthday party and an Ikea vase, which I thought could hold hairbrushes and headbands. 




No comments:

Post a Comment