Thursday, October 1, 2015

Sprucing up the outdoors, the "before" post

We definitely have a long term "outdoor to do list," but currently, we have a short term list, too.

We've been wanting to spruce up the outside of our home, but it has rained almost daily for a week and a half. This weekend, we hope to take some time to clean up the outside of our house. I've been wanting some pretty fall flowers but haven't been able to get them yet. If it doesn't rain this weekend, I'd like to get some things done. Here is my "to-do list."

1. Pull those weeds! 
This summer, before I got too far along, I spent several hours weeding all of the flower beds. Then, I got further along and school started back, and now weeds are taking over the flower beds again. Unfortunately, I can't really get down to pull weeds anymore, but I can do some things. I would love to replace some flowers that didn't survive the heat of summer in our "flag flower bed."

Since we're transitioning to fall, flower pots are currently on sale and there are some pretty ones available. Even if you find some flower planters you like, but don't like the color, you can likely paint them. I found this guy for $5 at Wal-Mart. It's since been marked down to $3.47. I ended up buying two of them.
10" Colonnade Planter, Clay I 
My plans are to paint it gray to make it look like stone, and maybe affix a smaller flower pot to the bottom to give it some height. 


2. Replace those dead plants with pretty, living plants that are fall appropriate

In the backyard, I had intended to replace our summer flowers with some more hardy fall flowers, but our red geraniums and purple vincas were still looking good, so I didn't want to waste them. Our coleus and polka dot plant were looking a little worse for wear, so I decided to pitch and replace them. I've purchased some pretty orange mums to replace them. I think they'll look good with the red geraniums.


3. Clean up that back porch
Our back porch is also looking pretty bad- we've been letting some junk pile up back there, and I decided it needed a boost. This weekend, I want to throw away the trash and dead plants, put away the clutter, and add some fall color. I am still shopping Craigslist for a baker's rack to use back here as a plant shelf. 

On Monday, I hope to show you the "after," but this depends on what the weather does. Stay tuned!





No comments:

Post a Comment